This post summarizes some collected best practices from online for Microsoft Azure Security.
1. Microsoft Azure, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/security/fundamentals/shared-responsibility
2. Amazon Web Services, https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/shared-responsibility-model/
Azure Security Reference Model
Reference Design – Azure Administration Model
Best practices and tips to secure your hybrid cloud environment
Best practices – Identity & Access Management
- Centralize Identity management. Designate a single Azure AD directory as the authoritative source.
- Enforce SSO and Multi Factor Authentication.
- Leverage Azure RBAC with Privileged Identity Management.
- Actively monitor for suspicious activities using AAD anomaly reports.
- Use Azure AD for storage authentication.
Best Practice – for Azure Storage
Advanced Threat Protection for Azure Storage
Alerts on anomalous access & potential data exfiltration
Best practices — Apps and Data security
Leverage Key Vault to store cryptographic keys and secrets. Control access through RBAC
Manage Azure Key Vault access at Management plane and Data plane
Encrypt data and rest and dbta in transit. Use client-side encryption for high value data
Leverage Advance Data Security (ADS) for Azure SQL
Leverage Azure Security Center to identify assets that do not have encryption at rest enabled
Best practices — Network Security
Adopt a Zero Trust approach
Control routing behavior and avoid implications of default routes
Disable RDP/SSH Access to virtual machines over internet
Choose whether to use Native Azure Controls or 3rd party Network Virtual Appliances (NVAs) for
internet edge security (North-South)
Simplify NSG rule management by defining application security groups (ASGs)
Protect Linux and Windows Servers from Threats
- Reduce open network ports
- Use Just-in-Time VM to control access to commonly attacked management ports
- Limit open ports with adaptive network hardening
- Block malware with adaptive application controls
- Protect Windows servers and clients with the integration of Microsoft Defender ATP and Linux servers
Protect your workloads from Threats – Use industry’s most extensive threat intelligence to gain deep insights
- Detect & block advanced malware and threats for Linux and Windows Servers on any cloud
- Protect cloud-native services from threats
- Protect data services against malicious attacks
- Protect your Azure IOT solutions with near real time monitoring
- Service layer detections: Azure network layer and Azure management layer (ARM)
Modern security operations and threat protection
Security Posture management with Secure Score
- Gain instant insight into the security state of your cloud workloads
- Address security vulnerabilities with prioritized recommendations
- Improve your Secure Score and overall security posture in minutes
- Speed up regulatory compliance